Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Eco Dyeing with Pyracantha ‘Orange Glow’ Berries Part 4

 Eco Dyeing with Pyracantha ‘Orange Glow’ Berries Part 4

 This is my 3rd experiment with the berries.





They are starting to wither because the weather is getting colder.

I cut them open and inside is a yellowish color and what appears to be a tiny seed.







The fabric that I decided to use is the one 


from the last berry experiment -

the one that turned out like a light beige



Boiled tap water (I decided to check with my

local Water Dept. and asked what chemicals 

are in the water - Answer - "We only add 

Chlorine and Fluoride to our water.")

and  alum placed the fabric in just for about


10 min.  -- rinsed.

Flattened the fabric on the table and placed


the berries on top

I then rolled the fabric and tied it.

It was steamed for about one hour - shut off


- then later on I decided to steam it again

for about one hour. 



Left it until the next day until it dried



Then unwrapped

You can see the pinkish color and all of 

the color is out of the berries.

Notice now the brownish marks on the left 


side of the cloth 


 In this photo you can clearly see the 

pinkish colors, from the outside of the 

berries, some yellow - from the inside 

of the berries and the brownish marks - 

I'm thinking that the brownish marks

are from the berries when all of the reddish 


color is heated out.

and as in the photo you can see the berries 


are now brown.

I can also detect some bluish/purplish 


spotted colors ...???


 This completely baffles me.

 Washed the fabric with woolite


pink and yellow washed out but

you can see the hint of blue



A very slight hue of pink, golds, beige 

and the light blue marks...???

As blue is a primary color; you can't

mix colors to achieve it. So this has

me scratching my head as to where this

color came from? Interesting....no?

I'm working on two more experiments

with the berries.... but I can tell

you so far -- the results are going

to be similar. 

I'm also working on more experimentation

with the leaves. I love the leaves! 

They give the most color.

Happy Dyeing!







2 comments:

  1. I love what you are doing here, Linda! I have a limited knowledge of eco dyeing with hit or miss results, but have also come up with mysterious blues from time to time. I scratch my head as well. The only thing I can think of is that it is coming from a reaction between the metal pot, dye matter and mordant... as the mordant and dye matter alone wouldn't seem to cause the blue...but who knows, maybe something in the dye matter would cause it??? Will keep watching what you come up with as I just find it so fascinating! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Vic! I have very limited knowledge also but I keep reading eco dyeing blogs and keep experimenting. I also came to the same conclusion about the blue - I had the bundle in a strainer over boiling water (steaming it) and kept turning it over and pressing down on it. I don't know if the strainer is made of steel mesh...? But I just had a similar thing happen to me yesterday.
    I rolled a piece of fabric over a empty vegetable can and placed in the dye pot for a couple of hours.
    When I took it out and unrolled it there were deep purple lines scattered about. I will post it during the week. I'm having so much fun doing this.
    If you are on Facebook there is a great group that I just joined and am learning a lot - The Dyer's Studio - so many experienced dyers on there and fabulous results!

    ReplyDelete