Saturday, October 18, 2014

Eco Dyeing - Beets

I was on Pinterest and saw some Dark Pink 

cloth that was dyed with beets. However, after going

to the web page  I discovered that the photo was

taken before  it was washed. 

So, I decided to give it a go anyway. I had to

satisfy my curiosity.  I bought fresh beets and

only peeled a large one. I hate wasting food.

I did not take step by step photos - I forgot!

I remembered as I had the pieces soaking

in the sink.

  Pretty pink colors!

I used on one a piece of silk and on the other

one cotton.




Here is where I found some good info. on beets -

Beetroot

 "Cut beetroot retains its purple-red colour well in acidic solutions such as malt vinegar (acetic acid)." 


But they didn't mean on fabric! (but I tried it anyway)



 Needless to say, the color washed out.
Leaving this ecru color. 


The conclusion -
"There have been repeated attempts to use beetroot as a natural dye for textiles.....
 . The red colour of beetroot cannot be fixed with any of the mordants traditionally used in textile dying. A method of obtaining a colour-fast red dye from beetroot would enable it to be exploited as a natural textile dye." 

 http://www.stephennottingham.co.uk/beetroot5.htm






No comments:

Post a Comment