Monday, October 20, 2014

Eco Dyeing - Cleome

Cleome - sometimes called Spider Flower


What's so great about these plants

is that they self seed. 

Those little pods you see hanging

contain the seeds. 

About 2 weeks ago I started saving

some of these seeds for my daughter

to plant in her garden. 

Looking at the Cleomes; I wondered if I

could extract any dye from the purple 

colored flowers.

But first I google them to make sure

they are safe and not poisonous in 

any way.  Surprisingly, I found that

they are called an Herb and used

medicinally! This is truly an amazing

and versatile plant! 

To my amazement I didn't find through

my google search anyone who had used

this plant for dyeing. Not that I could

find with photos anyway.






I put the flower heads in the pot and covered

with water and heated not boiled for about 


one hour. The liquid looked purple.

                                                    (Kitchenaid - anodized aluminum)
(Edited - Using this pot was a mistake  - I realized that when I did
another experiment with the  Pyracantha ‘Orange Glow’in my previous
post - which by the way I'm doing a second time using a Stainless Steel
pot instead - It has made a huge difference!)

1- 100% cotton fabric soaked in hot salted water then rinsed

I poured the purplish colored liquid in a


small tupperware and added the wet fabric -

I then cut  a lemon in half (no measurement)

and just squeezed a few drops into the

liquid and stirred it around it turned Pink!

(I keep forgetting to take step by step photos!)
  
2 - 100% cotton fabric 

The second piece of cotton fabric I soaked 


in hot salted water then rinsed

I poured some of the pink liquid in a small


tupperware and added maybe 1/4 teas. of alum

and added the fabric. It didn't look like

anything changed so I added a couple of

drops of ammonia and it turned purple...?


I let the fabrics soak in the liquid

for about 2 days. Took them out and

rinsed in cold water. I did not wash

them in a detergent yet because I wanted

to find a natural detergent for them.

Here's what they look after they dried


A nice shade of pink the other is

like a greyish purple.

Now for the third experiment

3- 100% cotton fabric - nothing added
was just washed.

I poured some of this same purplish liquid

into yet another small tupperware added the

fabric - stirred it around and then added a

couple of drops of ammonia and it turned

Green! 



 

Here's the results along with the pink.


The purplish cloth is such an odd

color - it looks grey, purplish and

I can see some pink.








Today I washed the fabrics above with a 


light colorless detergent and I was so

disappointed that the pink changed ....









to a minty green color. 


The original green stayed green after

washing. And the purplish grey also

turned....


A greenish blue. As you can tell I

haven't ironed the fabrics yet. My 

next test with these fabrics will be

what happens when they are exposed to

sunlight for a long period.

It would be interesting to try different

mordants and see the results.

I won't be able to do this experiment again

until next year - no more Cleome flowers.



I hope that someone who is more experienced

than I am will try using the Cleome plant.

Perhaps, they can coax more vibrant colors

than I did and maybe some new ones!  If you 

try this please let me know your results!


Notes:

After I tried my experiment with the Purple Cleome -

I found some interesting facts about this plant!

 " If you boil it down enough, you end up with a black syrup, quite thick, which acts as a binding agent for pigments, ideal for painting on unfired pottery."


" Native American recipes in fact have Cleome cooked, most frequently boiled, often eaten like spinach, or the seeds, which are often eaten raw, boiled into a porridge-like mush. Seeds are also sometimes ground into a flour or meal, and has been used for bread since prehistoric times."

You can read more here
Read Here

Happy Dyeing!

 




No comments:

Post a Comment